The roman chair may seem like an intimidating piece of strength training equipment but once you master the Hyperextension it will become your new best friend. Here is a little background on the Roman Chair Hyperextension exercise and five reasons why you need to implement it into your home gym strength training routine today:
The Back Extension, or Hyperextension, is a strength training exercise commonly performed on roman chairs, which offer the padding and support necessary to perform this specialty movement. When performed properly, this powerful movement strengthens the lower back, glutes, core and abdominals all at once. Here is how to perform the Hyperextension:
- Lie face down on the hyper extension bench with your ankles secured beneath the foot pads
- Lengthen your body as you cross your arms in front of your chest – this is your starting position
- Maintain a straight back and exhale as you slowly bend at the waist as far as you can
- Inhale while you slowly bring your torso back to starting position
- Improves posture: Hyperextensions reinforce your core, which makes it easier to maintain an upright position throughout your day. Practicing the back extension regularly will also stretch out and strengthen your lower back muscles in ways that any other exercise can’t, making it easier to remain upright.
- Minimizes back pain: If you work at a desk job, chances are you experience the kind of back pain that Hyperextensions can fix. This simple movement will strengthen your lower back and abs, which will ultimately result in less pressure placed on your spine throughout the day. The Back Extension will also help with pain when performing other strength training moves such as deadlifts.
- Customizability: The great thing about Roman Chairs is there are multiple Back Extension variations that you can perform on them, which we will delve into in a future blog post. In addition to Hyperextension variations, the Roman Chair is almost always adjustable to accommodate the physical needs of any trainer.
- Strengthens your entire body: Although the Back Extension primarily works the lower back, this powerful bodyweight exercise will also target your core, glutes and hamstrings. But that’s not all, if you perform the move correctly, you will also be working your upper back, deltoids and arms.
- Improves physical performance: Among all of the previously mentioned benefits, regularly practicing Hyperextensions will improve your athletic performance as well. This is particularly true when it comes to powerful full body strength training exercises such as squats and deadlifts where a stronger lower back is essential. The added core strength from back Extensions will also boost your fitness abilities in virtually every workout you perform, as the core muscles are often the most widely used.
Apex JD-3.1 Roman Chair Hyperextension Bench
Among all of these wonderful benefits that come along with the Hyperextension is the fact that you can now perform them from the comfort of your own home gym. Check out the Apex JD-3.1 Roman Chair Hyperextension Bench for an affordable, compact and effective Roman Chair that will fit perfectly into any home workout area. Visit marcypro.com for more quality home gym strength training and cardio equipment and start living a fitter, happier life today!